Lisbon is one of those European cities that everyone should visit at least once in their life. As we explain in our article ‘What to see in Lisbon in four days’, this capital city is – without a doubt – one of the best places to immerse yourself in Portuguese culture. Today, we’ll be focusing on Lisbon’s culinary offering.
For this, we’ve put together a list of all the best restaurants in Lisbon, featuring both the most traditional or popular options, alongside those offering the chance to discover new flavours.
Take note! There’s still time to plan your summer holiday in Portugal.
Where to eat in Lisbon
Traditional restaurants in Lisbon
- Rosa da Rua, located in the Barrio Alto, offers a buffet of homemade food made with local and fresh ingredients, prepared on the spot, with a variety of traditional Portuguese dishes and great quality for money.
- Aquí Há Peixe is the perfect Lisbon restaurant in which to try some traditional fish and seafood recipes, with freshly caught produce straight from the Lisbon market itself.
- Casa de Linhares is one of those popular Lisbon restaurants that, as well as offering a menu made up of some delicious traditional Portuguese dishes, also presents live Fado shows.
- The Rossio Gastrobar, created by João Rodrigues and João Correia, is the perfect choice for all those looking to savour quality products from the land, in the very best place in which to try them. Rossio Gastrobar is located on the seventh floor of the Hotel Altis Avenida, with some truly spectacular and stunning views over the city of Lisbon.
- A Taberna da Rua das Flores is an establishment located in a former haberdashery, today converted into a small and charming Lisbon tavern revitalising such popular dishes as flaked cod or tuna sangacho.
Unmissable Lisbon restaurants to visit if you have the chance during your trip to the Portuguese capital
- Belcanto is a restaurant from José Avillez, a Portuguese chef with two Michelin stars, considered one of the best restaurants in the world. Here, luxury ingredients are used to create an authentic and immersive culinary experience.
- Can the Can is an establishment with a modern and welcoming design, whose culinary speciality is based on fresh and gourmet products, presented in tin cans. What’s more, diners can often enjoy their meal accompanied by Portuguese music or a live Fado show.
- The Decadente is a designer restaurant located inside The Independente Hostel & Suites. Here, you can discover delicious morsels such as Algarve prawns with chicken and seaweed, or delicacies such as beef tartare or hake confit.
Other bars, cafés and restaurants worth visiting in Lisbon
- We know what you’re thinking: you can’t talk about Portuguese food without mentioning cod. Well, if you want to try the most delicious cod with cream in Lisbon, Ti Natércia is one of the best restaurants to eat in Lisbon and try this traditional Lisboeta recipe.
- El Café Martinho da Arcada is one of the longest-standing literary cafes in Lisbon (dating back to 1778), and was once frequented by such literary greats as Fernando Pessoa or José Saramago. This legendary place has been decorated with typical Portuguese tiles and photos of the artists and authors who have passed through its doors over the years.
- And how could we forget the cakes and pastries of Belém? At 84 Rua de Belem, you’ll find the Pastéis de Belém bakery: home of the famous pasteis de nata (custard tarts) and, without a doubt, one of the best places to enjoy breakfast or an afternoon snack in Lisbon while taking in the typical Portuguese architecture and decor.
It’s well worth making the trip just to have the chance to savour the authentic Lisbon cuisine and Portuguese cooking on offer in some of these restaurants. What’s more, if you combine it with a trip to some of those unmissable spots around the city and all the activities you can enjoy in Lisbon, you’re guaranteed the trip of a lifetime.
Likewise, if you land in the Portuguese capital and need a vehicle to get around during your tour of the capital, don’t forget to take advantage of the rent-a-car deals on offer at Record Go. Book your car hire from Lisbon airport with a great discount and start thinking about your next summer holiday.
Other things to do in Lisbon and the surrounding area: