This post is also available in: Spanish
The cobbled streets of Mahón are filled with colour, music and fervour for yet another year. The Fiestas de Gràcia de Mahón 2023 have arrived to light up the heart of the city and offer locals and visitors a unique experience of celebration and tradition.
When are the Fiestas de la Mare de Déu de Gràcia in Maó 2023?
The Fiestas de Gràcia in Mahón (Menorca) 2023 are celebrated from the 1st to the 9th of September. Although the most important days of the official festival are the last three: from the 7th to the 9th of September.
What are the most important events of the Fiestas de Gràcia 2023?
- Sopars al carrer (1st September). Street dinners (“sopars al carrer“) are held throughout the afternoon-evening of 1 September in various places and neighbourhoods of Mahón, with music and activities to kick off the festivities.
- Pilgrimage to the chapel of Mare de Déu de Gràcia de Maó (2nd September). On the afternoon of Saturday 2nd September, the pilgrimage to the hermitage takes place, starting from Plaça Constitució to the hermitage of the Mare de Déu de Gràcia, where an offering of flowers is made.
- Meeting with the Giants (4th September). A parade with giants and big-heads, to pay homage to the tradition of the festival, will be combined with dances, performances and a snack in the streets of Mahón.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
- Gràcia Proclamation (6th September). The traditional proclamation speech kicks off the most important days of the week-long Gràcia festivities. And it is accompanied by open-air dances all over the city.
- Dissabte de Gràcia (Saturday in Gràcia). On 7 September, the town crier walks through the main streets in the morning and, in the afternoon, the Fabioler searches for the Caixer Fadrí and announces the start of the official festivities, which take place on 7, 8 and 9 September. This Saturday of Gràcia is completed by the replec de la Colcada, the Solemn Completes and the Jaleo with street parties and music in the streets.
- Gràcia Day (8th September). On this day of the Mare de Déu de Gràcia festivities, another important tribute is paid to tradition, local folklore and the festival at its peak: parades with the gegants of Maó, entertainment by the Colles… And the day ends with a popular verbena (street party) at night.
- Segona Festa de Gràcia (Second Festival of Grace). On the 9th of September, the week of festivities ends with a popular march with the Municipal Band of Maó to the port of Mahón, and the week ends with another popular verbena in the centre of Mahón.
In addition, the Fiestas de Gràcia in Mahón are also an ideal setting for discovering the local culture and gastronomy. Craft fairs, exhibitions and culinary shows allow visitors to immerse themselves in the cultural richness of the region, exploring traditional dishes and acquiring unique handicrafts as souvenirs of the experience.
As you can see, the Fiestas de Gràcia de Mahón are a unique opportunity to visit Menorca and experience Mahón from a more special point of view. From the artistic decorations to the religious events, the vibrant music and cultural events, these festivities encapsulate the spirit and identity of the community of Mahon.
Fancy discovering Menorca during this first week of September? Take advantage of Record go Mobility’s car hire offers and book your car hire at Menorca airport and discover all there is to see in Mahon.